Tuition and Financial Aid

Tuition and Fees

The I School’s online students are assessed program tuition fees, which are charged per enrolled unit of coursework, and the Berkeley campus fee, which is charged per enrolled semester. The online master’s programs are 27 units each. Students are also assessed the Document Management Fee, which is a one-time fee charged in the first term of enrollment.

Additionally, for each program there will be a $500 immersion fee. Students will also be responsible for the cost of their hotel stay during the immersion and travel to and from the immersion. Fees are subject to change each academic year; new fees typically take effect in the fall term.

For the 2021-2022 academic year (Fall 2021, Spring 2022, and Summer 2022), program fees are as follows:

2021-2022 Fees/TuitionNew StudentsContinuing Students
Program Fees
$2,712 per enrolled unit¹
$2,712 per enrolled unit¹
Berkeley Campus Fee
$699.75 (Fall 2021 & Spring 2022);¹
$385 (Summer 2022)¹
$699.75 (Fall 2021 & Spring 2022);¹
$385 (Summer 2022)¹
Document Management Fee

¹The tuition, fees, and charges displayed here are estimates based on currently approved amounts. These figures may not be final. Actual tuition, fees, and charges are subject to change by the Regents of the University of California and could be affected by State funding reductions. Accordingly, final approved levels (and thus a student’s final balance due) may differ from the amounts shown. Students should expect fees to moderately increase each fall term.

Fee assessment example:

  • A new student who enters the program in Spring 2022 and takes two classes (6 units) would be assessed a total of $17,070.75 (consisting of $2,712 per unit x 6 units + $699.75 Campus Fee + $99 Document Management Fee).
  • A continuing student who takes one class (3 units) in Spring 2022 would be assessed a total of $8,835.75 (consisting of $2,712 per unit x 3 units + $699.75 Campus Fee).

Financial Aid

U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for federal financial aid programs, which include student loans. We encourage you to apply for financial aid as early as possible. To be eligible for federal financial aid, students must be registered in a minimum of 6 units per semester. Students who choose to take a less accelerated path toward completion of the degree should be aware that this will impact federal financial aid eligibility.

To apply for federal aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Federal School Code for UC Berkeley is 001312.

Financial Aid Checklist (PDF, 56kb)

Financing Options

Students may be eligible for the following funding options to help in paying tuition:

  • Corporate sponsorship: Some companies provide full or partial tuition support for employees. Preparing a request for corporate sponsorship can help maximize the likelihood of obtaining your company’s support. Please contact your admissions counselor for more information on how to create an effective request.
  • Veterans Benefits
  • A small number of immersion fellowships will be offered each immersion. The fellowships will cover the $500 fee; recipients will still be responsible for travel and the cost of their stay.
  • Student loans: U.S. citizens and permanent residents can apply for Federal Direct Loans or Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loans by completing the FAFSA. Please reference the chart below to determine which FAFSA to complete based on your desired start date. Any student can apply for a private student loan.
September 2022
Fall 2022
January 2023
Spring 2023
May 2023
Summer 2023

Sponsorship Tips

One of the ways that students fund their master’s degree program is through employer sponsorship. While your company may not advertise that this funding is available, they may have funds available to you if you put in a request.

Beyond funding, employers can also support your degree progress through adding flexibility to your schedule and providing new challenges and opportunities to take advantage of your growing skill set. Having a scheduled conversation to discuss your professional development goals is a great idea to help foster support, in whatever form it may take.

For information to help you request employer support or sponsorship, download our sponsorship tips sheet:

Private Loan Option for International Students

Private loans (also known as alternative loans) can help fill the gap between the cost of education and the amount of other financial aid offered. Private lenders vary in interest rates, terms, and eligibility requirements.

The University of California, Office of the President, provides a list of private loan lenders for international students, however you may choose any lender. You may visit the Berkeley International Office website for more information. Please also see the University of California Code of Conduct in Regard to Preferred Lender Arrangements.

Contact an Admissions Counselor today with any questions, or fill out a brief form to request more information.

I School Online Tuition, Billing and Financial Aid FAQ (PDF, 138kb)

Learn More